Saturday, July 27, 2013

Radio Kandi

One of my latest projects here is my very own radio show. The Kandi volunteer left Benin a few weeks ago, so I took over her radio show upon her departure. Every Sunday at 10 am, my pre-recorded radio show airs in my region. Like the previous volunteer, my topics vary between health and American culture. I have recorded seven shows so far on topics like good nutrition, pre-natal care, breastfeeding, the 4th of July, and Barack Obama. I divide my lessons into three segments that total about ten minutes, and the rest of my half hour is filled with music.

I record my shows on a nifty handheld record left to me by the previous volunteer, then I transfer them to my computer. Once all the audio and music segments are organized on my computer, I put them on a USB stick, which I later drop off at the radio station.

One curious thing about the radio station is that it does not use a generator. The station only operates when Kandi has power, which is generally less than 50% of the time. That means that on some Sundays, my show must not air because of a power outage. I wonder how that can be a successful business model. The city is supposed to upgrade the electrical grid so that there will be fewer outages, but on a Beninese timeline, that could take years.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you like doing them!

    Have you had any feedback on your radio shows?
    What is your radio name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting platform to work with, but sometimes I don't like the pressure of having to record a radio show. Last night I spent four hours recording and preparing radio shows for the next three weeks since I'll be in training in Cotonou.

    On the radio, I just go by my village name, Bake. I haven't gotten any feedback on the show yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Multi-talented!! What's next? Television? The Peace Corp has certainly given you a multitude of experiences. You never seem to be at a loss for something to immerse yourself in. It makes me smile.

    Jean Ralley

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new volunteer just moved to Kandi, so I think I'll soon have a co-host for my radio show. In any case, it's nice to have a new project now since the summer is a bit slow in village.

    ReplyDelete