Sunday, February 3, 2013

Flora and Fauna of Benin: The Lorax Tree

The pharmacist came into work earlier this week holding two peculiar-looking orange fuzzballs hung on the end of long stems. It turns out that they were the seedpods of a tree on the health center grounds. I was fascinated that such a tree actually existed as I had assumed that something like that could only be found in the works of Dr. Seuss.

Two seedpods, the top one has been broken open to see the inside. They truly are as soft and fuzzy as they look.

A view of the seedpods dangling from the tree. Some are orange and others are black.

The tree from a distance with the pharmacist standing underneath.

As I was investigating the Lorax tree, I saw this brush fire in the distance. A neighbor burning trash had left his fire unsupervised, and the nearby dry brush caught fire. The health center caretaker, his son, and the nurse's two children worked to extinguish it with water and by beating it with branches full of leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting looking pods!! Some people here would find some use for them in craft projects.
    I hate to think what would have happened if those people were unable to put out the fire with limited water and branches from trees.

    Jean Ralley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to drop this vital information here quickly for those who are infected with Herpes, infected with herpes, it is not the end because there it is curable with natural root and herbs. I was also infected with herpes a few months ago, I felt it was the end for me, my mind immediately changed and I was researching the cure for the virus until I saw Dr. Discovered oseigba Herbal Medicine that completely removed the virus from my system . If you want to find a cure for your herpes such as: . Alzheimer's disease, Diabetes, HIV/AIDS, Parkinson's disease, Multiple sclerosis, Lupus, Polio, infertility,Asthma, Schizophrenia and Cancer, stroke. Contact Dr oseigba today via email. droseigba123@gmail.com or Whatsapp him +2349019791774 or visit his page

    https://www.facebook.com/Oseigbaherbalhome/

    ReplyDelete