Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Photos: Igname Pilee, the Dish of the North

Igname pilee, mashed yams, is the classic dish of the north (in contrast to pate, the typical dish of the south). I eat igname pilee almost every day in village. The following photos show how it is made:

A Beninese yam, called igname. This one is relatively skinny because it's only as big around as my arm.

First step, skin your ignames and  cut them into chunks. Add water and boil until they are soft enough to be mashed.

The shopkeeper and her daughter mashing the igname with a wooden mortar and pestle. They pound the igname at about one hit per second, alternating mom-daughter-mom-daughter-mom-daughter.

A look at what's going on inside


The finished product. When mashed enough, African yams form a blob that is somewhat like playdough.  When the mashing is done, the igname pilee is rounded into a flat ball and placed in a dish for eating. It is always accompanied by a sauce and by meat, wagashi (the local cheese), or hard-boiled eggs. It is eaten by hand and must be consumed immediately or else it hardens.

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a knife and mortar and pestle!! What a job for the mashers and they get it so smooth. Curious that it hardens so quickly. It seems most cultures have some kind of bread, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Benin or maybe you just haven't mentioned it. Do you still have trouble with people thinking you are not eating enough? Have you stopped loosing weight?

    Jean Ralley

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beninese always seem to have large knives like that, and they do all the cutting in their hands - no cutting board. That particular knife is missing half its handle.

    There is bread here in Benin, courtesy of the French colonization. Bakers bake their bread in outdoor clay ovens that are taller than me. However, bread consumption is quite low here.

    My weight has stabilized, and the eating dynamic is a bit different here since I have my own place. I have given up on cooking during the week since my colleagues or friends are always inviting me to eat (random villagers do as well, but it's easier to turn them down). Sometimes I end up eating two breakfasts and two lunches because I can't get out of any of them. Luckily, there is really only one person here who pushes me to eat enormous quantities.

    I have learned to assert control where I can. I compensate for too many meals by not eating when I get home. It is usually too dark to cook and I am still full from lunch, so I just go to bed. Every once in a while, a friend finds out my plan and pushes me to join her for dinner. This is nearly always a bad idea since I truly am not hungry.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete