Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Video: Voodoo and Vaccines in Benin


This video is a good introduction to my life in Benin. Most of it is filmed in Dangbo, so you can see the village as well as the local dress, dance, etc. The film also gives a taste of the work I will do. You can see what a Beninese health center looks like and learn about vaccinations. In Sonsoro, I will be working to increase participation in the vaccination program and to educate mothers about its importance, and this video discusses both those subjects

The video is at least a year old, so apparently some of the information in it about access to vaccines is no longer accurate.

2 comments:

  1. Your job is going to be hard. as you well know. If they can see the results of vaccinating the children that would be helpful. Keeping good records with a control group and the voodoo group, so they can see a visual, might be helpful. Maybe you have some other ideas. Will you have some other things to do as well?

    Jean Ralley

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many things to be done in my village, but I am still trying to gauge the willingness of my colleagues at the health center. Most of our target population (mothers) doesn't speak French, so I will be reliant on my colleagues for translation, as well as other assistance.

    I don't think Voodoo is nearly as prevalent in the north. Here in the south, a Voodoo fetish called Oro just began. Some men were running around in grass skirts here in Dangbo just a few days ago for Oro. In parts of the country where Oro is really celebrated, women are not allowed to see it and are forced to stay in their homes. The Peace Corps volunteers who will be in such regions will wait in Cotonou for Oro to finish before going to their posts.

    ReplyDelete