Friday, July 27, 2012

My Village-to-Be: Sonsoro

Today was the day of our Post Announcement. In September, I will be moving to the village of Sonsoro.

Sonsoro, population 13,000, is 11 miles from Kandi, a major city. In my terms, that is a bike ride away. On the map below, you can see that Kandi (and thus Sonsoro) is in northwestern Benin.



The predominant language in Sonsoro is Bariba, which I have been learning since I arrived.

This part of the country is known for weather extremes. In the hot season, temperatures easily top 100 degrees. At other times of the year, it can be chilly by Beninese standards. When I arrive, it will be the rainy season, which lasts six months.

Theoretically, the village does not have electricity. I do not know if generators will be available.

My community is near one of the major national parks, which boasts an interesting assortment of wildlife. Even in my village, I have been told that I can expect to occasionally see elephants.

However, this is just cursory information. In one week, I will go to my village for a two week visit and will learn much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment