Monday, July 16, 2012

My Beninese Family

My house here in Dangbo is full of life. So full, in fact, that it has taken me two weeks to figure out who actually lives here. Here is what I have finally put together.

My host family consists of the parents, the grandma, six children (ages 22, 22, 18, 12, 8, and 4), a daughter-in-law, three grandchildren, and three aunts. We all live in one U-shaped house, except for the daughter-in-law and her two children, who live in an extension of the house. To this, add the constant stream of visitors, at least ten per day. The father has a polygamous marriage and thus has at least two other wives, but they live in different homes. However, his children from these other wives often come by our house and occasionally spend the night. Surely you can understand, then, why it took me so long to sort things out.

Our U-shaped house has no interior hallways but instead has seven doors that open to the courtyard. There are parts of the house that I have never entered. Through my door, there is a sitting room through which you reach my bedroom or the grandma's bedroom. The bend of the U contains the kitchen, which has a doorway but no door; the chickens, who roost inside, enter and exit as they desire.

The house has electricity but no running water. There are two latrines and two outdoor, walled areas to take bucket baths. While there is a living room with a television, we spend nearly all of our time outdoors in the courtyard, socializing and playing games. The courtyard is also home to many goats and chickens, as well as the occasional cat.

I apologize for the lack of photos, but I don't think my internet connection is capable of uploading photos right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment