Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Good Friend

A few days ago, a friend was at my house and he noticed a funny smell. He went investigating and discovered its source: a lizard nest in a large empty clay jar next to my house. The problem is, while the lizards easily got in the jar, they never figured out how to get out, and a few dozen had died in there. No wonder it reeked!

We were busy on a project and forgot about the jar, but remembered it the next day. The jar is too heavy for me to move, so my friend very willingly came back over to help. He lowered the jar onto its side, prodded out the few living lizards who were near death, then tilted the jar further to dump the dead lizard bodies onto a piece of plywood. He carried the plywood over to the fence and dumped the dead lizards on the other side.

Someone who offers to help you dispose of a heap of dead lizard bodies, now that is a true friend! I have found many people in my village who are exceptionally kind to me, going well beyond what I could have imagined. The northern Beninese are widely considered to be much kinder than the southern Beninese. In particular, the Bariba have a code of extreme generosity towards guests and foreigners. Not a bad place to be!

A few live lizards and many dead lizards, several of which had already disintegrated into dust

My friend ready to move the jar... it's much heavier than it looks!

Carrying the pile of lizard bodies to be dumped

1 comment: