Thursday, February 20, 2014

Living without Electricity - Part I

For those who wonder how we get by in Sonsoro without electricity, today I am offering you a small glimpse. Below are two photos of our vaccine refrigerator at the health center. The cooling is powered by kerosene, hence no electricity required.

A similar system applies to the refrigerators in the town's buvettes, the local drinking establishments that offer beer and soft drinks. Instead of kerosene, they attach a gas tank to their refrigerator, the same gas tank that would be used to power a gas stove.


My colleague is getting ready to add more kerosene.


Look closely on the left and you can see the flame.

2 comments:

  1. Your #1 commenter says she's no longer able to add comments using Safari or Firefox, and sends her regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally missed seeing this when I was in Benin. Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete