Sunday, September 15, 2013

How to Speak Beninese French - Part II

In the last post, I explained how grammar rules differ between Beninese French and the French of France. In this post, I'd like to share how (local) Beninese French uses specific phrasing and vocabulary that is a direct translation of Bariba, hence why it does not align with the French you would hear in France.

Here are some examples:

In France: Il a plu hier. (It rained yesterday.)
In Benin: La pluie est venue hier. (The rain came yesterday. [From Bariba's "Gura ka na", literally, "rain it came".])

In France: Je suis tombe en panne. (I had a breakdown.)
In Benin: J'ai connu une panne sur la voie. OR J'ai trouve une panne sur la voie. (I encountered a [my own] breakdown on the way.)

In France: Je ne veux pas beaucoup. (I don't want very much.)
In Benin: Je veux un peu un peu seulement. (I want a little a little only.)

In France: Je sens l'odeur. (I smell the smell.)
In Benin: J'entends l'odeur. (I hear the smell.)

In France: Je suis a Kandi maintenant. (I am in Kandi now.)
In Benin: Je suis a Kandi d'abord. (I am in Kandi first [meaning now].)

3 comments:

  1. Again I can see how this could cause some, perhaps serious, communication problems.

    Jean Ralley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot my favorite one. When you're sleepy, you say, "Le sommeil veut me prendre" (sleep wants to carry me off).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an apt description.

    Jean Ralley

    ReplyDelete