Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Start of My African Adventure

I fly out to Benin today to start my two years of service in the Peace Corps as a rural community health volunteer.

I know what you're thinking: Benin? Where's that? You're in the same boat as, well, nearly everyone. By writing this post I am already starting to fulfill Peace Corps' third goal: "to promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans." I'm starting by introducing you to a country you may not have even known existed!

Benin (formerly Dahomey) is located in West Africa between Togo and Nigeria.



The country is about the size of Ohio and has 10 million inhabitants.



I will be living with a host family in Porto Novo (?) as I complete my pre-service training (PST), 2.5 months of language learning, cultural orientation, bike maintenance lessons, technical skills development, and more. While Benin is a French-speaking country, there are more than 60 languages spoken. Since I passed the French interview, I have been invited to start learning Fon, a language predominant in the south, during PST. This does not necessarily mean that I will be placed in the south after PST.

PST will end on September 14, when I will be sworn in as an official Peace Corps volunteer and will start my two years of service. At this point, I will move to the village where I will be posted for the following two years. I know almost nothing about my assignment, other than that I will probably be assigned to a health clinic. We have been told that our focus will be on AIDS, malaria, nutrition, and child and maternal health. There are currently 108 Peace Corps Volunteers serving in Benin, and 63 of us will be flying to Benin tomorrow to join them. Besides health, the Peace Corps Volunteers in Benin will be working in English teaching, economic development, and the environment.

I have no idea how often I will update this blog since I do not know what my internet situation will be in Benin. Still, please comment often as your support and interest will be much appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us on your African adventure. By the way, what is a "Yovo?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yovo is the local term for a white person and how the Beninese will identify me. It is something people will apparently call out at me quite often here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was happy to get the email that you made it to the Peace Corps. hope everything is going well for you. I plan to follow your blog. I hope you learn a lot while you're there. Have a safe adventure. your Dyersville friend Mary Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary Lynn. I certainly appreciated staying with you in Dyersville. I hope you enjoy my blog.

    ReplyDelete